Rachel JohnsonFSN Undergraduate Academic Advisor Rachel Johnson
Building 11-241

Please email to schedule appointment and provide your available days and times.

Academic Advising FAQs

The Peer Advising Center is staffed with well-trained, experienced students to help with schedule planning and related academic questions. Peer advising is located in building 74M-A100

Is there a Wine and Viticulture Minor?

  • Yes, there is a minor, but it is currently closed to new students unitl futher notice.

How do I declare my concentration?

  • Students can declare their concentration in the WVIT 101 course, or by emailing cpdots2@calpoly.edu. Please see the following link for more information: Concentration Declaration.
  • Students may take concentration courses prior to submitting the Graduation Evaluation form (provided they meet the prerequisites for those courses).

When should I use my priority registration?

  • It is recommended students save at least one priority for their senior year. Students are advised to use priorities cautiously, as each student is allowed only three priorities to use during their time at Cal Poly.

How do I access my Degree Progress Report?

  • The Degree Progress Report is an online report that shows a student’s progress towards degree. To access, follow these instructions:
    • Login to my.calpoly.edu
    • Click on "Student Center"
    • On the left hand side menu bar click " Degree Progress/Graduation"
    • Click "View Degree Progress Report"
    • Select Academic Institution: "Cal Poly" and Report Type: "Degree Progress Report." Click "Go"
    • Select "Expand All" for display view

Where can I find information on Internships?

  • Students are advised to meet with Adrienne Ferrara, Internship Director, Building 11, Room 220. For more information visit the Internship page.

Where can I find Study Abroad Information?

  • Students are advised to meet with Monica Schechter, Associate Director for Study Abroad (Building 38, Room 106). For more information, visit the Study Abroad web page.

When do I file for graduation?

  • Students should submit the completed form to the Office of the Registrar (Admin Building, Room 222) four quarters before graduating. The form can be found on the Office of the Registrar website or at the Advising Center.

What is the GWR (Graduation Writing Requirement)?

  • The Graduation Writing Requirement (GWR) is a writing exam that every Cal Poly Student must complete in order to graduate. For more information, visit the Cal Poly Writing Skills page.

What do I need to know about the Credit/No Credit option?

  • Each student can take a total of 16 units as Credit/No Credit grading. Please note: WVIT does NOT allow Credit/No Credit option to be used for major, support or concentration courses.
  • NOTE: Some majors do not allow a CR/NCR option to be used for their major, support, or concentration courses. Students should confirm with their departments if CR/NCR is an option.
  • NOTE: If a "C-" or better is earned, the student will receive credit (CR) for the course. If a "D+" or lower is earned, the student will receive no credit (NC) for the course.


Back to top