= Gallo Vineyards, Inc. Central Valley (GVI) owns and operates 14 vineyards in Sacramento, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Merced, Madera and Fresno
Counties, encompassing thousands of acres of planted vines. GVI Central Valley is responsible for planting, farming and harvesting these
company owned vineyards in Central California utilizing sustainable farming practices and employing the latest technology. GVI strives to
produce the highest quality wine grapes using technologically advanced production techniques.
Our Internship Program is searching for appropriate candidates to fill 6 month positions (June - December) within our Winegrowing Operations. Interns will support the many different areas of our Winegrowing Operations including general viticulture, irrigation management, pest control, tractor and spray operations, new equipment development and cultural operations. The intern’s essential functions are as follows:
• Support all GVI operations.
• Use GPS technology and the Geographical Information Systems to implement precision farming and map vineyard infrastructure.
• Participate in pest and disease scouting and help draft treatment thresholds for specific pests.
• Assist with the design, layout, and planting of a new vineyard block.
• Assist with harvest activities including maturity sampling, harvest equipment preparation and quality control of mechanically and hand-harvested fruit.
• Assist with data collection and analysis for GVI viticulture experiments
• High school diploma or GED from an accredited institution..
• Currently enrolled at a college or university and working towards a Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Viticulture, Plant Biology, Plant Science, Ag Business, Biological/Agricultural Engineering, Environmental Science, Soil Science, Biology, Geographical Information Systems, Chemistry, Enology or Horticulture; or a Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Viticulture, Plant Biology, Plant Science, Ag Business, Biological/Agricultural Engineering, Environmental Science, Soil Science, Biology, Geographical Information Systems, Chemistry, Enology or Horticulture.
• Required to lift and move up to 40 lbs.
• The position requires availability to work evenings, weekends and holidays when necessary.
• Junior or Senior class standing at a college or university and working towards a Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Ag Business, Soil Science, Environmental Science, Geographical Information Systems, Viticulture, Plant Science, Horticulture or Biological/Agricultural Engineering.
• General viticulture knowledge.
• Grape pest and disease identification.
• Computer skills: Microsoft Office, Excel, Statistical Analysis (MiniTab, SAS), GPS Mapping and ArcView.
• Basic Spanish.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
• Inside/Outside conditions: work estimated at 90-100% (but not limited to) outside with weather of varying types.
• Wet/Slippery conditions vary and may include work in rain.
• Required to work outside in hot weather.
• Noise levels may vary. Occasional situations where ear protection is required.
• Commuting and traveling to GVI ranches in Central Valley