This is a hands-on position working as a vital member of the LangeTwins vineyard management team to actively assist in directing and managing the labor and cultural operations involved in an efficient winegrowing business. This position will report to the Vineyard Manager and will oversee labor managers, supervisors, irrigators, or crews working in their designated region.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for all labor operations, performance, and appearance of vineyards in assigned area. This will include manual labor tasks as necessary to test jobs, supervise crews, enforce quality, etc. Work with labor contractors and crew foremen to ensure quality and performance expectations are met. This is not a job that can be done from the driver’s seat of pickup truck.
• Report to Vineyard Manager (VM) in designated area and perform daily scouting of vineyards to notify the proper VM of potential problems that may affect the health of the vineyards.
• Create lists of jobs that need to get done, coordinate jobs, delegate where appropriate, execute, and follow-up. .
• Aid in the monitoring of vineyards to ensure vine development, vine health, fruit quality. This will include participation and responsibilities in irrigation management, pest scouting, soil nutrition management, general land management.
• Record and analyze vineyard observations and day-to-day recordkeeping as needed. Effectively use PC spreadsheet and database programs as needed.
• Help develop a farm plan for upcoming growing season and adhere to a budget in all vineyard management decisions.
• Directly oversee management labor crews and contract labor crews in assigned area of responsibility throughout the year to ensure efficiency and quality in all cultural operations. This means daily engagement with Spanish and English speaking employees performing vineyard work to enforce efficiency goals, quality metrics, and general performance. This is a hands-on job.
• Actively listen to and trouble-shoot everyday employee relation issues by counseling and documenting issues as they arise.
• Assist in managing mechanical harvesters and crews at day and/or night during harvest season.
• Work hands-on with crews as needed to cover the work load, demonstrate expectations, and train employees.
• Pursue opportunities to improve self, employees, and processes via ongoing feedback, coaching, mentoring, and training.
• Promote positive work environment and overall employee morale
• Manage, communicate, and enforce worker safety programs (Injury & Illness Prevention Program) and safe pesticide handling.
• Organize and present tailgate safety meetings with employees as necessary.
Other duties as assigned. An Assistant Vineyard Manager is not exempt from performing any task that needs to be done on the farm.
• Education in viticulture or related field.
• Minimum of two years vineyard work experience.
• Literate (preferred proficient) in basic Window’s applications and databases.
• Knowledge of and ability to use computers, run reports, complete accurate data entry and document information related vineyards, employees, etc.
• Valid driver’s license with clean driving record.
• Experience supervising employees. Ability to lead, motivate and supervise a team of employees.
• Ability to think critically and globally on farm-wide issues.
• Bilingual - communicate effectively in both English and Spanish strongly preferred.
• Communicate with other vineyard managers, equipment managers, and Pest Control Advisors in an effective and professional manner.
• Must stay up-to-date on industry issues and have desire for continued education.
• Must be able to lift 50 lbs repeatedly and work in a dynamic outdoor environment. This can be a physically demanding job.
• Significant (not every) Saturday work is required as labor management and farming demands.
• Must be dedicated to work long hours and many weekends during harvest and other times of heavy workloads.
This is a full time position. Our company offers a very competitive salary with a comprehensive benefits package.
To apply, please send your resume and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org