||The Wine Group is one of the top leaders in the wine industry. As a privately held management-owned company with 14 wineries in California, New York, and Australia, we thrive to win with exceptional people who share our values. We produce many well-known brands including Franzia, Cupcake, Chloe, Flip Flop, Save Me San Francisco, Insurrection, Concannon, Benziger and Imagery. We are a successful company looking to employ talented individuals on our team who are self-motivated, positive and energetic. If this sounds like you, we encourage you to apply!
Under the supervision Of Sr. Winemaker, Intern – Winemaking duties will vary with the intent to participate in the overall wine quality from grape to finished product while following sustainable TWG practices. The intern will be required to spend a given amount of time shadowing different roles within the facility to gain knowledge and understand practices, processes while developing leadership skills.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
• Shadow different roles within the facility to gain knowledge and understand practices, processes while developing leadership skills (e.g. Cellar, Compliance, Winemaking, and Analytical Lab)
• Analytical Lab: Given an opportunity to learn all the various lab procedures and should be able to identify wine specs for all the different varietals upon completion of this section. They will be required to pull tank samples which will provide assistance in the learning of the tank farm
• Sanitation: The intern required to participate in the overall sanitation of the facility prior to the season. This gives an opportunity to learn the basics behind the process prior to the start of crush. The intern will work closely with the cellar employees during the completion of this process, which will help develop a good working relationship prior to the season
• Crush: During crush season the intern will be required to supervise all grape processing. This includes:
• Ensuring that sanitation has been properly completed prior to the daily startup
• Responsible for the grape trucks from the test stand to the tanks.The intern will need to work closely with the crusher lead and operators to ensure nothing goes to the wrong tank
• Responsible for seeing that additions and circulations are completed on time and in the correct manner
• Responsible to see that tanks are drained/pressed at the right times based on directions from winemaking
• Participate in daily fermenter tasting and conduct tank walks twice per day
• Participate in and document all production scale winemaking trials
• There may be times when the intern may need to make decisions based on their winemaking knowledge.When doing this they need to use all the facts to support their decision
• Upon the completion of crush, the intern will provide assistance to winemaking/cellar to ensure processing is carried out in the correct manner
• May be required to write work orders under the direction of the Sr. Winemaker
• Assist the winemaker and compliance in the process of closing completed work orders
• Stay up-to-date with all cellar processing
• Need to be able to answer questions about various states of processing when approached by others
• Participate in all bench top trials as directed by winemaking (fining, blending, etc.).
• Learn why and how each piece of equipment functions in the cellar.This will require that the intern spends time with each of the operators on the various pieces of equipment around the winery
• The intern will be required to provide a status report on the internship upon completion of each of the major tasks above
• This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for their job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
• Enrolled in an undergraduate program in Viticulture & Enology
• Must be a college student; Junior Level in coursework, or above
• Must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
• Must be able to commit to a minimum of six months of fulltime work
• Must be highly proficient in Microsoft Office, the Internet and computer aptitude
• Excels at creative problem solving
• Excellent communication skills, both written & verbal
• Strong attention to detail and the ability to determine the root cause of the problem
• Excellent organizational & interpersonal skills with attention to detail
• Prioritize while able to adapt to changing priorities
• Ability work independently within set guidelines
• Demonstrated reliability and punctuality, work effectively in team/crew environment, adherence to all safety regulations and operating procedures.
• Position will be exposed to indoor and outdoor environments with varying noise levels
• Ability to perform tasks requiring bending, stooping, standing, and twisting in the performance of various tasks in a production environment
• Must be able to lift up to 50lbs occasionally
The Wine Group is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.