Peachy Canyon Winery
Paso Robles, CA
Peachy Canyon Winery, a family owned and operated business since 1988, is located in the foothills of the Santa Lucia Mountains on the westside of Paso Robles. Founded by Doug and Nancy Beckett, and now operated by their sons, Josh and Jake, Peachy Canyon has been producing award winning wines for well over 30 years. While closely associated with California's Heritage Grape, and known for premium red zinfandels, Peachy Canyon has received 90+ point ratings for wines made from a wide array of Rhone and Bordeaux varieties as well. Now, with five estate vineyards in production, and over 100 acres under vine, Peachy Canyon Winery finds that its deep roots help to bring the best fruit from dirt to bottle.
Salary DOE, Health/Vision/Dental, Employer Matching 401k
The Enologist's primary responsibility will be to procure samples from the cellar and perform analyses on wine, grapes, and must. Additionally, the enologist will oversee wine quality assurance from grape receipt through packaging, and maintain accurate records of laboratory procedures and assist with cellar activities when available.
- Maintain quality control throughout all stages of wine production.
- Conduct wet chemistry and enzymatic analysis of juice, musts and wine from intake thru bottling.
- Sample barrels and tanks for routine analyses.
- Perform calibrations, instrument maintenance and repairs to laboratory equipment.
- Conduct bottling quality control analysis; management of dissolved gasses in particular.
- Coordinate and perform benchtop trials for fining agents and additives as needed.
- Maintain analytical records for all bulk and packaged wines in Vintrace.
- Write work orders in Vintrace for analyses & additions.
- Perform production activities when assigned including additions, inoculations, cleaning, wine movements, crush activities, filtration...etc.
- Maintain inventory of both laboratory and enological supplies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Degree in Enology, Chemistry, Microbiology or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 2 years of “hands-on” wine production experience is desired.
- Experience with practical and technical aspects of the winemaking process, and familiarity with regulatory requirements required.
- Familiarity with laboratory safety procedures and protocols.
- Possess excellent organizational skills and the ability to multitask.
- Excellent record keeping skills and the ability to effectively organize and present data from multiple sources.
- Possess written and oral communication skills, fluency in English.
- Availability to work a varied schedule during the harvest season as needed.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel, as well as the ability to learn other related computer programs & databases.
- Valid CA driver’s license and ability to drive a forklift.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
- Perform tasks requiring climbing, balancing, bending, kneeling, stooping, standing, and twisting in the performance of various tasks in the warehouse/cellar.
- Able to work at various heights, on ladders and catwalks.
- Perform physically strenuous tasks including lifting heavy objects (50+ lbs).
- Typical winery chemical and noise exposure.
Please email a cover letter + resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org