J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines
Founded more than four decades ago by Jerry Lohr and still family owned and operated today, J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines is built on the three pillars of “Family, Place and Craft.” We are dedicated to producing flavorful wines that are the finest examples of quality and flavor from our 3,700 acres of sustainably farmed estate vineyards in Paso Robles, Monterey County’s Arroyo Seco and Santa Lucia Highlands appellations, and St. Helena in the Napa Valley.
The ideal candidate will be goal-oriented, able to work well and communicate with fellow co-workers, be self-motivated, and have a positive attitude. The intern chosen will be required to work 10+ hour days, six days a week, in the midst of harvest.
Candidate must be able to lift 40+ pounds. He/she must have taken at least one chemistry class, and have a firm background in the science of winemaking. Passion for the winemaking process and commitment to “learn by doing” are essential.
Duties will include (but aren’t limited to):
• Daily Fermentation temperatures
• Monitoring Fermentation trends
• Heating and cooling tanks
• Macro-oxygenation during fermentation cycle
• Micro-oxygenation pre-malolactic fermentation
• Acidification/de-acidification trials
• Re-Inoculations – restarting and monitoring problematic ferments
• Weekly analysis of our Grower Barrel Lot Program
• Basic analysis of juice and wine to include:
o Wet chemistry (pH, TA)
o FOSS analysis (pH, TA, Alc, VA, Malic, Residual Sugar)
o Spectrometer (tannin determination, color absorbance)
o Enzymes as needed/requested
Taryn Cooper, Enologist