Location: Texas High Plains AVA, Reddy Vineyards, Brownfield, TX
Winemaker and Vineyard Management Position
Full Time Employment
Directs, coordinates, and manages all aspects of winemaking and timely production to ensure effective and profitable operation and growth. Meets company and government regulatory standards. Responsible for assuring quality and brand requirements are met for all wines and brands under his/her direction. This position will oversee all laboratory analysis, wine movements,operation of the bottling line, crush pad operations and vineyard management. As a Vineyard Manager he/she will be accountable for assigned aspects of running the vineyard within the district hierarchy by ensuring that fruit is produced to specification and that key business
objectives are achieved through the application of best practice in the areas of viticulture, commercial, human resources and HSE (Health, Safety, Environment) management. Part of the manager’s responsibilities will include teaching and instructing vineyard employees in all vineyard
activities from planning, developing and planting vineyards, all cultural practices including irrigation and harvest. Keeping abreast of new technologies and new vineyard mechanization techniques that will enhance vineyard and wine grape quality and reduce labor. Work with sustainable wine grape systems to exhibit wine growing practices are ecologically friendly.
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Develops and implements operational plans and protocols for all winemaking. Ensures protocols
are being followed by viewing in person or through your staff.
• Formulates and executes plans for all custom crush operations, bulk wine / barrel storage, short term and long term
• Managing the logistics of tanks for grape receiving, the movement of large volumes of wine, and the overall tank plan of where all wine will be stored/blended.
• Reviews and executes contracts and PO’s for bulk wine and custom crush.
• Establishes controls for operation efficiency within the team and all the facilities including preparation of protocols and procedures
• Directs all winemaking activities including but not limited to fermentation, wine blends, storage, stabilization, and bottling
• Ability to look at the big picture, plan and organize execution of large blends in the cellar
• Organizing tasting schedule and participating in tasting with wine team. Helping with the final directive decision and coordinating with cellar to implement all blends.
• Develops new brands/blends in line with marketing/sales demand.
• Directs cellar, harvest, laboratory, and bottling activities to ensure conformance to standard operating procedures and other related winemaking practices. Ensure proper documentation of all additions, movements, and changes in the lab books
• Directs technical and research programs including but not limited to product development and product quality programs in conjunction appropriate management
• Develops, implements, and manages short and long term projects to improve cost margins and quality in the winery
• Prepares short and long term production plans, grape and bulk wine inventory requirements, annual distribution programs, annual operating budgets, and annual production/inventory plans
• Manage allocated wine inventories to optimize blend quality requirements, regulatory requirements and packaging schedules
• Ensures correct data management is happening for compliance and tracking purposes in winery
• Develops, manages, and maintains oversees bulk wine buying and selling
• Hires, trains, supervises, motivates, and develops wine making staff; manages schedules and workflow. Develops long-term strategy for labor and hiring.
• Updates and maintains current and new staff job descriptions.
• Understand job market data.
• Assigns duties and monitors quality of work; assures staff conforms to organizational policies and procedures and government regulations
• Provides day-to-day guidance and oversight of subordinates; actively works to promote and recognize performance
• Responsible for understanding the Food Safety and Quality Management System and related activities, including the ISO Food Safety & Quality Policy
• Responsible for understanding Quality Management System related activities, including the quality policy and ISO awareness. Responsible for communicating and ensuring employees understand Quality Management System related activities, including the quality policy and quality
• Represents winery at wine-related functions as needed
• Assists with strategic planning and public relations content/plan
• Performs other duties as assigned by management
• Supervises the compliance and technology manager and oversee all compliance with government agencies.
• Monitor vineyard yields and assess vineyard pruning strategies to achieve vine balance and the desired yields.
• Education: Degree in Enology
• Experience: Minimum 2 years of Winemaking experience
• Thorough understanding of vineyard management practices and their effect on wine
• Demonstrated proficiency in supervising and motivating subordinates
• Commitment to excellence and high standards
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills; able to manage priorities and workflow
• Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
• Acute attention to detail
• Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and
• Proficient on MS Office Suite
• Proven leadership and business acumen skills
• Proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines
• Creative, flexible, and innovative team player
• Demonstrated ability to make successful presentations to individuals and/or groups at all levels of an organization
• Working knowledge of data collection, data analysis, evaluation, and scientific method
• Spanish language skills a plus
• Strong technical background and wine tasting ability
• Strong understanding of winemaking theory, practice, lab procedures, bottling and production timelines
• Ability to work effectively with coworkers and perform duties and responsibilities in a manner consistent with the company’s values
• Ability to work flexible and extended hours as needed, and as required, be on call 24 hours per day as it relates to emergencies and wine quality issues
• Moderate to heavy physical work
• Standing for long periods of time
• Must comply with all safety equipment requirements including ear plugs and safety glasses
• Exposure to various chemicals in production areas
• Exposure to machinery, forklifts and related production equipment
• Long and irregular hours during peak periods or on various shifts
• Extensive walking and lifting of up to 50 pounds
• Prepare monthly bulk inventory reports for use in TTB and TABC tax statements
• As required, supervise the organization, movement, and tracking of case goods in the warehouse