Vineyard Harvest Intern
DAOU Winery – Part-time Wine Grape Sampler
The position will focus on visiting vineyards along the Central Coast and sampling fruit. During the harvest season, this person will also work very closely with the winemaking team to assist with cellar work. The hours will be part-time, mostly early mornings to midafternoon, traveling from vineyard to vineyard throughout the 2019 Harvest (August – December). The position requires a flexible schedule and may include evening and weekends work. Additional details outlined below:
Essential duties and responsibilities:
• Scouting vineyards for conditions regarding vigor, foliage, irrigation, disease/pests, sunburn, and other vineyard practices.
• Record phenology, crop loads, cluster counts, cluster weights and other relevant vineyard data.
• Sample grapes from contracted vineyards and run basic laboratory analysis to determine grape maturity.
• Assist with coordination of harvest logistics and scheduling.
• Assist in the cellar when necessary.
• Qualified students will be enrolled in Wine and Viticulture or similar program.
• Must be able to walk long distances on uneven ground, be able to work in wet, humid or hot environment, & have a valid California Drivers License.
• Requires work schedule flexibility during harvest months.
• Strong communication skills, work ethic, and ability to adapt to rapidly-changing environments.
• Commitment to excellence, high ethical standards, & ability to prioritize with accuracy.
• Must be highly organized, detail oriented and able to multi-task.
• Must be able to lift 35 lbs and able to stand for long periods of time.
This internship is a unique opportunity to work closely with the production team and the whole winemaking crew. This experience will offer full exposure to the many disciplines involved in harvesting wine grapes and the winemaking process