Los Gatos, CA
The Cellar Intern is responsible for assisting with winemaking duties during bottling and harvest seasons in the production department. Being flexible and adaptive to the changing priorities of management and other departments is essential. Respecting and upholding stylistic wine and business goals is expected at all times.
This temporary (40+ hour/week) position reports to the Production Manager with key interaction with all members of the Production department. This position is needed through November 2019.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Maintain a sanitary working environment (tanks, fittings, hoses, equip., etc.)
• Assist in pre bottling wine preparation: racking barrels, wine transfers, barrel cleaning and maintenance
• Assist in crush activities: Sorting/de-stem fruit, press operation
• Assist in cellar activities: punch downs, pump-overs, racking, drains, barrel filling,
• Assist in bottling line activities: loading bottles, loading packaging, palletizing, bottle QC
• Will assist in shipping and packing activities
• Participate in group tastings and team-building projects
• Perform other related duties as required and assigned
• Perform task accurately and timely
• Fulfill work order documentation accurately and timely
• Effective Communication: report to supervisor effectively, communicate status and notify supervisor of any problems or potential problems
• Perform according to procedure and all safety protocol
• College degree or pursuit of degree preferred. High school diploma required.
• Strong work ethic
• Good English speaking and literacy skills
• Ability to work well as a team and contribute to group tasks
• Ability to complete work orders independently and willingness to learn
• Passion for wine
Work Environment & Physical Requirements
• Ability to lift and carry up 50lbs frequently
• Ability to stand for the duration of the shift
• Repetitive motions: lifting, reaching, grabbing, climbing stairs, kneeling and twisting.
• Work typically performed both indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions