Harvest 2021 Internship
Arroyo Grande, CA.
Talley Vineyards is a family-owned and operated California wine estate producing primarily Chardonnays and Pinot Noirs. The winery is located in Arroyo Grande Valley, near the town of Arroyo Grande in the southern corner of San Luis Obispo County.
Talley Vineyards is seeking three enthusiastic full time cellar interns and one focused lab intern to join our production staff for the 2020 harvest. We produce about 25,000 cases of wine annually focusing on Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Syrah, Grenache, Riesling, Gruner Veltliner, and Sauvignon Blanc from our 150 acre vineyard. You will participate in all aspects of winemaking from primary processing to barrel. You will be asked to perform cellar tasks in a fast-paced environment. Being a strong member of our team means that you must take initiative and are willing to do whatever tasks are needed for smooth operation of our facility. This is a great opportunity for students currently studying enology/viticulture to gain some valuable experience or for you to get exposed to the California wine industry. Strong verbal communication skills are a must to succeed in this fast-paced environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• General sanitation of winery - equipment and barrels
• Assist in receiving, weighing, sorting and processing fruit
• Pump operation
• Performing punch downs and pump-overs
• Transfer of wine and juice from tank to tank
• Removing pomace from tanks and press
• Press operation
• Barrel filling and topping
• Ability to lift 50 lbs.
• Other cellar work as assigned
• Fork Lift experience preferred but not required
• Previous winery experience preferred but not required
Time Frame/Working Hours:
• This position begins around late July/ early August, 2020 and will complete in late October, 2020 to early November depending on Mother Nature.
• Work will usually begin around 6:00 AM; though harvest conditions dictate flexibility, and can include early mornings, partial shifts and weekends. Person or persons must be on time. Punctuality is a must.