2021 Harvest Cellar Worker/Vineyard Sampler/Lab Assistant
Twomey is focused on winemaking through excellence and sustainability. We source fruit from some of the best AVA’s and vineyard sites in California and Oregon. We have opportunities at both our Healdsburg and Philo locations, and we are hiring for two different positions – cellar intern or lab/vineyard sampling intern. Please indicate the position and facility you are interested in with your application.
Our facility in Healdsburg makes a variety of site-driven Pinot noirs from Russian River Valley, Santa Lucia Highlands and Santa Maria Valley as well as Sauvignon Blanc from Napa Valley and Sonoma. Our Philo facility produces a regional Anderson Valley Pinot Noir, two single vineyards Pinots, and a Rose.
We ferment in small 2 to 5-ton fermenters and vinify around 100 lots of Pinot noir each season.
We usually begin harvesting in early August and work into November. We work up to 6 days a week together with long hours; as we are a small group, we have only one shift. We love what we do, have fun doing it, and most importantly take pride in the quality of work and the wines we create. Harvest is a wonderful time of year for us to share ideas with the new people we meet from all different types of backgrounds and cultures. You must be available to work long hours in a physically demanding environment, assisting in the production of high-quality Pinot noir and Sauvignon blanc. This is an exciting opportunity to work with Pinot noir from all over California, creating ultra-premium small lot wines in a fun and focused environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job, but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
Harvest Cellar Worker Job Description
• Perform all cellar duties during vintage including pump-overs, punchdowns, additions, sampling, checking Brix, and shoveling pomace.
• May be asked to help oversee fruit processing, press operation, and wine movements such as racking, topping and filling barrels.
• Cleaning and sanitation of all equipment.
• Assists where required during busy crush season; works long hours and/or swing shift as required at harvest with long hours on your feet and lifting, walking, standing, etc. as needed.
• Other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
Vineyard Sampler/Lab Assistant Job Description
• Drive out to our different vineyard locations and collect berry samples
• Analyze vineyard and fermentation samples for grape maturity; TA, pH, L-Malic, Brix, Temp, cluster weights.
• Prepare samples for cellar maintenance, winery tastings and fermentation analysis.
• Routine cleaning and preventative maintenance of lab equipment
• Ensure safety at all times including use of personal protective equipment.
• Prepare solutions and maintain chemicals
• This position is also required to fulfill all duties listed under Harvest Cellar worker
• Commitment to excellence and high standards
• Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
• Creative, flexible, and innovative team player
• Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions.
• Good written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to calculate figures.
• Valid driver’s license accepted by the state of California
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to do the following:
• Regularly required to roll, move, and/or lift 60 gallon wine barrels when needed.
• Walk, kneel, bend, and stand.
• Work in a cool, temperature-controlled cellar or outside in the elements. Stand and walk on concrete floors, ladders, wet floors, catwalks, or uneven ground.
• May be asked to enter permit required confined space.