Seasonal Lab Technician
Charles Krug, C. Mondavi & Family
St. Helena, CA
Founded in 1861, Charles Krug was the first commercial winery in Napa Valley.
End of July, early August (dependent on Season)
End of November (dependent on Season)
The Seasonal Laboratory Technician will have the opportunity to see our process from grape to bottle.
The Seasonal Lab Tech provides active support to winery analytical and quality control laboratories as required.
- Science or related classes or degree (Chemistry, biology, enology, viticulture); and winery laboratory experience for a minimum of 6 months
- Must be able to work flexible days and hours. Shifts will range from 8 to 10 hours; 5-6 days per week and we do staggered shifts in the laboratory.
- Must be punctual
- Must be able to repetitively lift 35 pounds
- Must be able to work outside and in a wet or rugged winery environment, be able to use catwalks and ladders
- Must be detail oriented and have the ability to multitask
- Must work in a clean and productive manner as determined by management
- Must adhere to laboratory and safety protocols
Job duties to include:
- Berry sampling
- Yeast and bacteria inoculations and nutrient additions to tanks and barrels
- Juice and wine sampling from tanks and barrels using aseptic techniques
- Berry, juice, wine sample preparation
- Basic juice and wine analysis including but not limited to: pH, TA, VA, ALC, RS, MA, NOPA, AM, Brix and SO2.
- Promptly recording and reporting data
- General laboratory cleanup and setup
- Set up and clean up for production tastings
- Assisting in setting up for trials (fining, blending, etc.)
- Cover the bottling line Quality Control Laboratory as needed which would include but is not limited to: checking CO2, DO, vacuum pressure or toque of closure, fill height and weight, packaging, line sanitation, filterability, cold conductivity and plating for yeast and mold.