Viticultural Intern 2021
Ridge Vineyards, Inc.
Established in 1964 with two vineyard locations, Cupertino CA Santa Cruz Mountains, and Healdsburg CA at Lytton Springs RD. Ridge relies on nature and tradition rather than technology.
$18-23 depending on experience
Ridge Vineyards is looking for a motivated intern to join us for the 2021 harvest season.
OBJECTIVE: The Viticultural Intern will work with the Senior Vice President of Vineyard Operations, and with the Viticulturist at our Lytton Springs, CA vineyards, with occasional travel to our vineyards in Cupertino, CA. Responsibilities include assisting with scouting diseases, modeling, monitoring vine stages, data collection and analysis, etc. on estate vineyards in Healdsburg. This is a paid Internship eligible for health benefits. Ideal candidates have completed at least one harvest internship, or, are currently pursuing a degree in Viticulture or Enology.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Prior to harvest, assist with the collection and organization of viticultural data, such as: Modeling an experimental yield estimation technique, monitoring vine phenological stages, maintaining crew operational records
• Assist in scouting for diseases such as powdery mildew, other vertebrate/invertebrate pests, and any abnormalities
• Analyze historical data, including climate and ripening parameters
• Assist in collection of plant tissue for nutrient analysis
• Help maintain in-house organic compost program
• Act as the primary berry sampler during harvest
• Join production team during tastings
• Other duties may be assigned depending on seasonal need
• Bachelor’s degree (or in-progress) in Viticulture/Enology, or related field preferred
• Previous harvest experience is a plus
• A passion for all things wine, from vineyard to table
• Ability to lift 50 lbs.
• Ability to walk up and down stairs, walk in uneven terrain, occasionally climb ladders, catwalks
• Clean driving record
• Familiar with Microsoft Office
• Strong organization and communication skills. Spanish a big Plus
• Available to work a regular, full time schedule that includes overtime, weekends, and holidays as needed during harvest season