Full time Lab Tech
Faust Winery & Huneeus Vintners
Sebastopol, St. Helena
Come join this talented and exciting winemaking team and make some of Napa Valley's finest Cabernets. We are singularly focused on making the highest quality wines from some of the most acclaimed vineyards in the area with a small, passionate hands-on team.
Faust is a modern Napa Valley classic. We are not just another Napa Valley Cabernet, but a bold red wine focused on forging its own path.
This position requires an enthusiastic, detail-oriented person to support all administrative and lab aspects of Winemaking.
*The following reflects essential functions for this role but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
The position will assist with the following:
• Performs all chemical analysis - Gallery Discrete Analyzer, EtOH & wet chemistry.
• Monitors Primary & Secondary fermentations and updates winemaker.
• Updates standardization protocols and analytical procedures in the lab manual
• Maintain and update testing procedures
• Maintain accurate record of test results
• Ensures that all equipment is properly calibrated daily; troubleshoots and offers solutions to problems as necessary
• Ensures that all analysis is performed accurately, according to SOP, compares it against previous data
• Re-runs analysis if results are not within specifications
• Periodically (quarterly) checks lab analysis against ETS to verify accuracy
• Provides analysis summary to Winemaker (monthly or as often as needed)
• Pulls accurate samples from the cellar tanks and barrels as needed for analysis or tastings
• Prepares trial blends for tasting
• Prepares acid or fining trials in preparation for aging or bottling
• Understands the entire fermentation and aging process enough to know how to organize analysis annually
• Maintains current inventory of lab supplies and places orders proactively.
• Preventative maintenance of lab equipment
• Alerts Winemaker to any potential issues either with the analysis or with any off-aromas or issues observed while sampling
• Enters all data in Vintrace
• Data entry and maintenance of vineyard maturity samples.
• Arranges for outside analysis as necessary
• Helps maintain bulk wine database.
• Coordinates final bottling analysis and confirmations.
• Organizes the sampling and set-up for blending and vineyard evaluation tastings.
• Performs cellar work as needed to help cellar run efficiently.
• Prepares and makes additions of yeast, malolactic bacteria, nutrients, SO2 and Tartaric acid
• Team oriented with a high level of integrity.
• Minimum 2 years lab experience and science degree (Chemistry preferred)
• Flexibility and good sense of humor.
• Good multi-tasking and time management skills.
• Strong Excel skills.
• Strong organizational skills, writing, and communication skills.
• Ability to independently problem solve
• Results oriented
• Passion for wine a plus
• Accountable and trustworthy
• Self-motivated with the ability to manage competing priorities
• Must have a valid Driver's License and a clean DMV record
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including overtime, and weekends to accommodate the needs of harvest operations.
• Ability to climb stairs and lift 50lbs
• Ability to stand and walk over rough, steep and uneven terrain in hot and/or inclement weather
Huneeus Wines is a dynamic collection of premium wines/wineries. The portfolio includes Quintessa, Faust, Illumination; all produced in Napa Valley; Flowers Vineyards and Winery produced on the Sonoma Coast. Most recently Leviathan, in Napa Valley and Benton-Lane located in the Oregon wine country joined our portfolio. We are singularly focused on producing the highest quality wines and promoting them through a committed distributor network to passionate restaurateurs and retailers.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Huneeus Wines LLC is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Location: Sebastopol, CA (95472)