Laboratory Technician II
JUSTIN Vineyards & Winery LLC
2265 Wisteria Lane, Paso Robles, CA 93446
JUSTIN Vineyards & Winery is located in the Paso Robles region of California's Central Coast. We operate with a desire to make world class wines that reflect the unique soils and climate of the area. We take great pride in making Bordeaux-style blends and single varietals, combining Old World tradition with New World techniques.
To develop the best tasting wines, we heavily rely on our laboratory team to complete a variety of analysis and research. We are seeking a new Laboratory Technician II to join the Lab team at JUSTIN! Under the direction of the Enologist, the Laboratory Technician II will perform routine wine and juice analysis on both fermenting and finished wines, calibrate equipment daily as well as troubleshooting when needed, workflow management, data entry into databases, training harvest interns, as well as working on special projects. This position requires the ability to follow directions safely, accurately and in a timely manner. This is an excellent opportunity to work closely with winemaking and cellar teams.
- Performs daily routine analysis, but not limited to: total acidity (TA), free & total sulfur dioxide, residual sugar (RS) and malic acid (ML), volatile acidity and alcohol.
- Performs any harvest analysis pertaining to grape maturity, juice analysis, and fermentation tank or barrel tracking/monitoring.
- Operates laboratory instruments such as Y15 Automatic Analyzer, cash still, refractometer, density meter, pH meter, alcolyzer, turbidimeter, and other instruments as required to perform duties.
- Additions and preparations of wine additives and cultures to tanks and barrels.
- Ability to use and maintain a Gas Chromatograph.
- Experience with Polymerase Chain Reaction methods and instrumentation.
- Ability to prioritize analyses and process laboratory samples efficiently.
- Responsible for data entry of all lab results into the laboratory information management system in a timely manner.
- Selects and prepares chemical solutions used in the laboratory.
- Supports the training of new employees and seasonal interns.
- Performs other work-related duties as assigned by the Supervisor including, but not limited to, sampling, cleaning, administrative duties, and special projects.
- Obtain wine samples from tanks and barrels.
- Must immediately inform Winemaking Team of any situation that could jeopardize wine quality.
- Able to maintain, calibrate or perform any troubleshooting required for all laboratory instruments.
- Assist with all Lab SOPs, inventory of materials and work with vendors for purchasing needs.
- Responsible for understanding all safety procedures including hazardous materials handling, storage and disposal.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field (Enology, Chemistry, Food Science, etc.) and two (2) years previous winery experience
- Ability to establish direction, obtain commitment and execute appropriate production processes
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and ability to learn new programs
- Able to adhere to safety procedures, company polices and act as a role model to others
- Solution-driven, willingness to make timely and accurate decisions
- COVID vaccination will be required for this position unless candidate has a legally valid exemption
- Competitive benefits package including Medical (including 24/7 online access to a physician), Vision, Dental and 401k with match eligibility
- Opportunities for development and internal mobility
Manager and leadership training, biweekly L&OD webinars, and eLearning offerings
- Companywide problem solving and continuous improvement training
- Wonderful Giving (wonderfulgiving.com) - allowing you to donate company money to a cause of your choice
- Company focus on wellness and health including virtual yoga and mindful meditation classes
The Wonderful Company is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.