Hirsch Vineyards Assistant Vineyard Manager
Hirsch Vineyards is seeking an experienced Assistant Vineyard Manager to join our team.
The ideal candidate will have a desire and aptitude to learn, a passion for viticulture, and an interest in ecological farming. They will be a team player with proven leadership skills and the ability to work collaboratively and respectfully with a diverse group of colleagues. High attention to detail, flexibility and a strong work ethic are also key qualities for this role.
Hirsch is a family-owned estate vineyard and winery on the West Sonoma Coast, dedicated to ecological land management and biodynamic farming practices. The Assistant Vineyard Manager will play a significant role on our close-knit winegrowing team, which consists of founder David Hirsch, vineyard manager Everardo Robledo, and winemaker Jasmine Hirsch. We farm approximately 70 acres of estate Chardonnay and Pinot Noir, with 10 additional acres to be planted over the next 5 years. This is an exciting time to join our team as we deepen our biodynamic and regenerative practices; plan for new vineyards; and implement changes to adapt to a changing climate.
This job is 90% in the field and 10% in the office. Due to our remote location (45075 Bohan Dillon Rd, Cazadero, CA), housing assistance may be provided. This role reports to vineyard manager Everardo Robledo.
- Work with winegrowing team to ensure viticulture practices meet qualitative and ecological goals.
- Work with Vineyard Manager to hire, supervise, train, evaluate and retain vineyard workers, including administration of H2A program.
- Maintain accurate records of spray programs, irrigation, fertilization, phenological data, and other records as needed.
- Assist in sourcing, operating and maintaining tools, supplies, equipment, vehicles and buildings.
- Help monitor vineyards for insect and disease pressure; assist with plant and soil testing and monitoring.
- Carry out vineyard work as needed, including but not limited to pruning, suckering, leafing, thinning, harvest, spray passes, irrigation, mowing, seeding, soil cultivation and fertilization.
- Implement, manage and monitor safety procedures and protocols for the vineyard team.
- Support budgeting and forecasting work.
- Ensure the timely and accurate collection of payroll data; review and approve timecards.
- Support vineyard redevelopment projects and new plantings.
- Help design, implement and track viticultural experiments.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 3+ years of vineyard management experience.
- Thorough knowledge of viticulture practices and a comprehensive understanding of year-round vineyard operations.
- Experience growing Pinot Noir preferred but not required; desire and aptitude to learn is sufficient
- Experience with biodynamic and/or other ecological farming system preferred but not required; desire and aptitude to learn is sufficient
- Strong leadership and management skills, with the ability to motivate and influence others.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of equipment operations and maintenance; able to operate farming implements, large machinery, vehicles on flat land and hillsides; and ability to train others.
- Valid CA driver’s license.
- Computer skills, including programs such as Excel, Word, email, databases, weather programs and internet.
- Proficiency in English and Spanish.
- Able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds; able to walk and stand for most of the day; twist, turn, bend, crouch, extend, climb ladders, and have a full range of motion in all varieties of physical movement.
- Able to work in all weather conditions including hot/cold temperatures, mud, dust, fog, soft soil, walk in uneven terrain.
- Ability to work extended hours, weekends, and holidays, as needed; able to work at night during the harvest.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Salary range is $20 to $40 per hour depending on experience and qualifications.
Hirsch Vineyards LLC is committed to equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. It is the policy of Hirsch Vineyards to provide full and equal employment opportunities to all employees and potential employees without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, veteran status, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability or any other legally protected status.