Viticultural Intern, Monte Bello Estate, Cupertino, CA
About Ridge Vineyards
In 1962, Ridge made its first Monte Bello, and two years later its first zinfandel. Since this time, Ridge has championed single-vineyard winemaking, searching California for those rare vineyards where climate, soil, and variety are ideally matched. Ridge has two locations - Cupertino, CA and Healdsburg, CA.
Ridge Vineyards is looking for a motivated intern to join us for the 2023 harvest season.
OBJECTIVE: The Viticultural Intern will work with the Senior Vice President of Vineyard Operations, Director of
Vineyard Operations, and the Viticulturist at our Monte Bello Estate in the Santa Cruz Mountains. There may
be occasional travel to our Lytton Springs Estate in Healdsburg, CA. Responsibilities include assisting with
scouting diseases, modeling, monitoring vine stages, data collection and analysis, etc. on estate vineyards. This
is a paid Internship eligible for health benefits. Ideal candidates have completed at least one harvest
internship, or are currently pursuing a degree in Viticulture, Enology, or a closely related field.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Prior to harvest, assist with the collection and organization of viticultural data, such as: Modeling an
experimental yield estimation technique, monitoring vine phenological stages, maintaining crew
• Assist in scouting for diseases such as powdery mildew, other vertebrate/invertebrate pests, and any
• Analyze historical data, including climate and ripening parameters
• Assist in collection of plant tissue for nutrient analysis
• Help maintain in-house organic compost program
• Act as the primary berry sampler during harvest
• Join production team during tastings
• Other duties may be assigned depending on seasonal need
• Bachelor’s degree (or in-progress) in Viticulture/Enology, or related field preferred
• Previous harvest experience is a plus
• A passion for all things wine, from vineyard to table
• Ability to lift 50 lbs.
• Ability to walk up and down stairs, walk in uneven terrain, occasionally climb ladders, catwalks
• Clean driving record
• Familiar with Microsoft Office
• Strong organization and communication skills
• Available to work a regular, full time schedule that includes overtime, weekends, and holidays as
needed during harvest season
• Spanish language skills a plus
This physical job can require extended hours in the vineyard or in the winery. In most cases, vineyard work
will need to be performed in varying weather conditions, on uneven terrain, and at variable times during a