2023 Harvest/Winemaking Internship
Ram's Gate Winery
Who We Are: Founded in 2011, Ram’s Gate Winery is entering a new era of winemaking excellence, focused on creating wines with character and poise. The winery’s portfolio showcases wines that are fresh, compelling, and uncompromising in quality, sourced from vineyards that encompass the spirit of Sonoma County. Rooted in exploration, the Ram’s Gate Winery team brings a new perspective on refined elegance through thoughtful farming, transparent winemaking, genuine hospitality, and sublime culinary experiences.
Who You Are: You are fascinated by all things winemaking related from grape to bottle. You are eager to get your hands (and feet) dirty to expand your winemaking knowledge. You are someone who brings a “can and will do” attitude to our team and can juggle multiple tasks at a time. Apart from being someone who is not afraid to get dirty in the cellar, you are an innovative thinker, a team leader, and always striving to further your knowledge. Although loving wine is critical, someone who has a great sense of humor, appreciates a strong cup of coffee, and listens to great music is just as crucial.
The role of a harvest intern requires a hardworking, motivated, and detail-oriented individual who is interested in diving deeper into winemaking. Working within an intimate team you will see all aspects of winemaking from tracking phenological phases in the vineyard, sampling grapes for harvest, sorting and stomping fruit, inoculating, and monitoring fermentations, and so much more! You will work with several varietals along the way from Pinot Blanc and Chardonnay to Pinot Noir, Rhône, and Cabernet varietals! Although long days will be had, our team always ensures harvest is a fun and educational opportunity. We will taste and discuss our portfolio of wines, while also diving deeper into some mystery wines from around the world. This position requires flexibility based on vintage and winery needs from early August through the beginning of November. The impact of your involvement benefits the success and growth of our business. We hope you will join us in having some fun while working hard to make exceptional wines this harvest.
• Operation of harvest equipment
• Equipment sanitation
• Wine/must movements
• Fermentation monitoring
• Barrel work
• Vineyard sampling
• General winery cleaning
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
• B.S. or degree in Enology or Viticulture, or previous harvest experience.
• Organized and detail-oriented, with strong multi-tasking and time management skills.
• Self-motivated and willing to assume additional responsibilities.
• Possess high standards of ethics and integrity.
• Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
• Must be at least 21 years of age.
• Valid driver’s license with a social security card OR a passport required
• Able to lift 50 lbs, frequently and more than 50 lbs occasionally
• Able to stand for long periods of time on hard and sometimes slippery surfaces
• Able and willing to work longer than normal business hours when needed