Grower Relations Harvest Internship
JUSTIN Vineyards & Winery LLC
2265 Wisteria Lane, Paso Robles, CA 93446
In 1981, we planted our first vineyard with a mission to make world-class Bordeaux-style blends, but since then we’ve expanded our knowledge of viticulture in the unique region of Paso Robles. At JUSTIN Vineyards & Winery, we combine traditional Old-World methods like hand-harvesting and small-barrel aging in French oak with New World technology.
$16.00 an hour (plus potential overtime pay)
June 1st, 2023
November 30th, 2022
JUSTIN Vineyards & Winery has internship opportunities available for the 2023 growing season and harvest, beginning in June and lasting through November!
The Grower Relations Harvest Intern will have the opportunity to work directly with the Grower Relations team and in the winery cellar. The position starts with field data collection for crop estimates; assistance with sugar sampling leading up to harvest will also be of primary focus. A company vehicle will be provided for use to and from vineyard properties. In late September, the position will transition to full-time in the cellar production facility.
The duration of this internship is June 1st through November 30th. This is a full-time, ~40-50 hours/week, hourly-paid position.
Grower Relations Responsibilities:
- Seasonal vineyard operations and extensive data collection including: cluster counting for crop forecasting, vineyard monitoring, pest scouting, and phenological data tracking
- Sugar sampling both berries and clusters for grape maturity and phenolics.
- Ability to utilize and operate tools and equipment used in agricultural applications including an RTV/ATV and hand tools
- Assist in running lab analysis: brix, pH and TA
- Transition to the cellar will occur in September and be 6 days/week and up to 12-hour days
- Prep for Harvest: working with chemicals, pumps and hoses to sanitize tanks, bins and other equipment used for wine work, etc
- Harvest Assistance: performing punch downs, pump-overs, ingredient additions, helping out with processing and wine transfers
- Barrel Work: receiving and labelling new barrels, barrel maintenance and assisting with topping of barrels
- Possessing a Degree (or currently enrolled) in an Agriculture or Wine & Viticulture program is preferred; harvest and wine industry experience is recommended.
- Willingness to take time off from school during the duration of the internship is required. This includes online courses.
- Possess a positive attitude; strong communication skills, detail-oriented and comfortable working alone as well as effectively with others.
- Self-motivated; a desire to learn and solve problems is critical.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to walk long distances and/or hills in a variety of hot and cold climates for a large portion of the days.
- Flexible and willing to work varying shifts, overtime, and weekends.
- COVID vaccination will be required for this position unless candidate has a legally valid exemption
Pay Rate: $16.00 per hour plus potential overtime pay.
- Competitive benefits package including Medical (including 24/7 online access to a physician), Vision, Dental and 401k with match eligibility
- Opportunities for development and internal mobility
- Manager and leadership training, biweekly L&OD webinars, and eLearning offerings
- Companywide problem solving and continuous improvement training
- Wonderful Giving (wonderfulgiving.com) - allowing you to donate company money to a cause of your choice
- Company focus on wellness and health including virtual yoga and mindful meditation classes
The Wonderful Company is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.