Paso Robles, CA
Caliza Winery is a small, premium, estate-driven brand producing mostly Rhone varieties but also Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot, Tempranillo, and Primitivo from our 28-acre vineyard in the Paso Robles Willow Creek District. Caliza also has a sister brand called End of the Day Wines where we source a host of different varieties from all over the Paso Robles AVA. The combined tonnage in-house will be approximately 120 tons. This is a great opportunity to work with multiple winemakers not only in the winery on a range of techniques and varietals but also with vineyards from across the entire appellation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Cleaning and sanitization of barrels, winemaking equipment, and facilities
• Fruit sorting and processing
• Fermentation management ranging through inoculation, racking, sampling, variety of cap management techniques, additions, and more.
• Draining and digging out tanks
• Filling and cleaning the press
• Sensory analysis and tasting from juice to finished wines and everything in between
• Understanding of cellar operations with an eagerness to learn and an unmatched work ethic for the effort to make world class wines
• Have a love for music and contribute to the daily tunes played throughout the cellar
• Good organizational skills and the ability to take on many tasks at a time
• Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds and work on your feet for 10 or more hours a day in an indoor/outdoor facility dealing with everything from extreme heat to extreme cold through the season.
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain relationships
• There will be ample training and teaching opportunities for all tasks and winemaking activities.
• Previous experience is preferred but if you have the unmatched ability to put your head down and work extreme hours with a willingness to learn we encourage you to apply
• This is not a job for the faint of heart but you will walk away with an incredible wealth of knowledge and appreciation for what it takes to make great wine!
SCHEDULE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• You are expected to be available for work every day of the week with the possibility of having to work 7 days, but we do our best to give everyone at least 1 day off per week.
• Hours vary from the standard 8 hour days to 12+ hours depending on the season and what it brings.
• Have reliable transportation and be on time ready to work
• Attention to detail is a must
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision at times
• Outstanding communication skills and the willingness to contribute to the weekly fantasy football chatter
Apply with resume and cover letter to Associate Winemaker Andy Neja. Contact information is below.
Caliza Winery is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or age.
Associate Winemaker Andy Neja