Dana Estates is a small, boutique winery located in St. Helena. We produce three vineyard designate Estate Cabernets, a Bordeaux blend and Sauvignon blanc under the direction of Winemaker, Chris Cooney and Consulting Winemaker, Phillipe Melka.
This harvest internship position provides experience in winemaking at the highest level. We are looking for an enthusiastic, reliable, hard-working intern with a great attention to detail. The Harvest Enologist plays a vital role during harvest, carrying out all fruit receiving and crush operations.
• Assisting in crush line setup, organization of fruit receiving, and management of temporary workers under guidance of the Associate Winemaker.
• Maintain and operate crush equipment including troubleshooting, maintenance and sanitation.
• Involved in all other harvest activities: pump-overs, barrel rolling, racking, additions, cleaning, pressing, barrel downs, barrel rolls, barrel and tank sanitation, etc.
• Assist with lab sampling and fermentation monitoring
• Assist with vineyard sampling, observations, and maturity analysis (pH, TA, Brix, Berry Weights, Malic Acid)
• Non-harvest cellar operations: Topping, racking, additions, sampling, blending, bottling prep, bottling wine movements, inventory.
• Create an experiment, execute, and write short report on it.
• Help set up and participate in tastings with winemaking team
• Assist in harvest laboratory work.
• Cooperation and teamwork to accomplish wine quality and production goals
• Maintaining a clean and safe work environment
• Meticulous cleaning and sanitation
• Several prior harvest internships
• Forklift driving experience
• Currently studying Winemaking or completed some level of winemaking course work
• Attention to detail
• Communicate in English-both written and verbal
• Reliable transportation and housing are required