Peter Michael Winery
Calistoga (Knights Valley), CA
Sir Peter started Peter Michael Winery in 1983 with a singular vision: to make wine in the terroir-driven tradition of Burgundy and Bordeaux, under the California sun and in California soil.
Today, we make fifteen wines in four varietal categories. All but one are estate-grown in our mountainside vineyards, and all are crafted by hand and in limited production. All three estate vineyards (Knights Valley, Oakville, and Seaview) rest on steep hillsides. Combined, the three estates total 1,191 acres with only 201 acres under vine.
We are guided by the patience that good wine requires and our love and respect for this land. These are the values that shape everything we do.
$65,000 - $100,000
As soon as we find the right person
Full-time position - no end date
Develop, implement, and monitor custom viticulture programs for approximately 200 acres of Estate owned vineyards. As a core member of our team, you will be responsible for the following:
• The design and implementation of a pest and disease characterization and monitoring program.
• The collection, organization and reporting of viticulture data to support farming, winemaking and marketing decisions.
• Working with the Vineyard Manager and the Winemaker to diagnose and solve viticulture problems.
• Assisting with Sustainable Agricultural Practices
• Maintaining regular communication with Vineyard Manager, Winemaker and General Manager.
• Performing other duties as assigned.
• Bachelors’ degree in viticulture and at least 3 years' experience in viticulture or similar fruit production field.
• Must possess a strong working knowledge of plant physiology, sustainable agriculture, soil science, nutrition, and irrigation management.
• Must understand optimum ripeness and proper harvesting of grapes.
• Mapping skills in ArcGIS software a plus.
• Possess a basic understanding of sensory analysis and winemaking.
• Must possess good time management and organizational skills. Attention to detail is a must.
• Must have the ability to work independently as well as with other team members.
• Proficient in computer related technologies to include tablets.
• Valid driver's license. Prior experience with an ATV helpful.
• The ability to communicate in Spanish or the willingness to learn.
o Must be able to hike uneven terrain in vineyards.
o Must be able to operate an ATV on rough terrain for extended periods of time.
o Must be prepared to work in all weather conditions year-round.
o Must be able to stand, bend and twist frequently and lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
o Committed to work long hours and many weekends during harvest and other times of heavy workloads.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Benefits of working at Peter Michael Winery
• We produce critically acclaimed wines
• Our vineyards are some of the most beautiful vineyards in the valley with micro-climates that allow us to produce both Bordeaux and Burgundy varietals.
• Our vineyards are located in three beautiful areas: Knights Valley, Oakville and Seaview.
• We are all about Quality, not quantity.
• 100% family owned – for the next 100 years
• Very little turnover – Our employees love to work here
• Medical, Dental, Vision, Life and LTD benefits for you and your dependents
• 401k plan with 4% Company match
• This position offers the opportunity to work with our knowledgeable vineyard manager with over 30 years of experience establishing and maintaining the vineyards of Peter Michael Winery. We also have our own year-round vineyard crew and do not use an outside vineyard management company.
• Wine allocations twice a year plus wine discounts if purchasing wine.
• PTO and 10 paid holidays plus a paid week off during the holidays in December – The winery closes down during this time.
Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.