Social Media / Communications Intern
The Rhone Rangers
Hybrid (70% remote, 30% in-person meetings/winery visits)
Founded in 1998, the Rhone Rangers are a group of 100+ wineries throughout the United States dedicated to making wines from the 22 grape varieties originally made famous in France’s Rhône Valley. These varieties range from the better-known Syrah and Viognier to the up-and-coming Mourvèdre, Grenache, and Roussanne, and obscure grapes like Counoise and Picpoul.
The Rhone Rangers started from a small gathering of American vintners who began meeting informally in the 1980s. As their numbers expanded, the non-profit organized under the name “Rhone Rangers,” with a focus on promoting the enjoyment of Rhône varietal wines produced in the United States. These grapes include the 22 traditional varieties approved by the French government for the Côtes du Rhône, as well as Durif (Petite Sirah). For a wine to qualify as a Rhone Rangers wine, the winery must be a member of the national organization and 75% of the wine’s content must include one or more of the twenty-two traditional Rhone grape varieties. For more information, please visit www.rhonerangers.org.
The Rhone Rangers, a national 501c (6) wine education non-profit, is searching for an outgoing, enthusiastic social media/communications intern who is passionate about engaging with our community of American Rhone wine producers and enthusiasts.
This is a paid, part-time role that can be done remotely, with regular meetings via zoom, as well as occasional in-person meetings. This internship starts ASAP and is for at least 10 hours/week, with the position reporting to the Executive Director of the Rhone Rangers organization. The intern will gain real world experience and collaborate in the creation of marketing strategies and execution for the organization’s virtual and in-person events, as well as in the promotion and marketing of the organization’s winery members.
• The person in this role will engage on a regular basis with our community on social media by replying to comments, tagged photos, stories, and DMs on the organization’s social platforms, maintaining the Rhone Rangers voice across all content.
• Assist in the writing, development, and scheduling of original, compelling content across multimedia channels and different audience groups.
• Assist in the creation of visual content utilizing photography and short videos.
• Assist in the creation and updating of the social editorial calendar.
• Assist in the updating of industry calendars with the organization’s events.
• Current enrollment at Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo, with a major in Ag Business, Wine & Viticulture, or Communications.
• Excellent copywriting, grammar, and spelling skills.
• Attention to detail in promoting Rhone specific varieties and varietals.
• Proficient in utilizing Canva, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Outlook, Word, Power Point and Google Suite applications.
• Content creation for social media posts via Instagram, Tik Tok, LinkedIn, You Tube, and Facebook platforms.
• Must have access to your own laptop and smart phone.
• Access to transportation for winery visits and events, as needed.
• Available to work part-time Monday – Friday, with an occasional weekend as needed for assistance with the organization’s annual special events. (Weekend needs will be communicated and coordinated well in advance.)
Compensation and Benefits:
• This is a paid position + applicable college internship credit.
• Access to attend exclusive wine industry events.
• Networking access to a wine community of 100+ wineries nationwide!
Submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Social Media / Communications Intern” in the subject line. Please provide any relevant examples of social media accounts that you have managed, if applicable, and include a cover letter telling us what inspires you to want to join our team and why you’re perfect for the role.
Kim Murphy-Rodrigues, Executive Director, The Rhone Rangers