Viticultural Intern, Lytton Springs
Ridge Vineyards, Inc
For more than six decades, Ridge has been recognized for its single-vineyard philosophy. Our pre-industrial approach to winemaking, with the belief that when one attempts to make fine wine, modern additives and industrial processing limit true quality. Ridge is the largest farmer of organically certified grapes in Sonoma County and the Santa Cruz Mountains Appellation.
October 30, 2022
Position Title: Viticultural Intern, Lytton Springs, Healdsburg, Ca
Category: Full Time, Seasonal, Harvest Season (Typical May-November)
Ridge Vineyards is looking for a motivated intern to join us for the 2022 harvest season.
On-site housing provided during internship.
OBJECTIVE: The Viticultural Intern will work with the Senior Vice President of Vineyard Operations, Director of Vineyard Operations, and the Viticulturist at our Lytton Springs Estate in the Healdsburg California. There may be occasional travel to our Montebello Estate in Cupertino, CA. Responsibilities include assisting with scouting diseases, modeling, monitoring vine stages, data collection and analysis, etc. on estate vineyards. This is a paid Internship eligible for health benefits. Ideal candidates have completed at least one harvest internship, or are currently pursuing a degree in Viticulture, Enology, or a closely related field.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Prior to harvest, assist with the collection and organization of viticultural data, such as: Modeling an experimental yield estimation technique, monitoring vine phenological stages, and other data to monitor season progression.
• Assist in scouting for diseases such as powdery mildew, other vertebrate/invertebrate pests, and any abnormalities
• Analyze historical data, including climate and ripening parameters
• Assist in collection of plant tissue for nutrient analysis
• Help maintain in-house organic compost program
• Act as the primary berry sampler during harvest
• Join production team during tastings
• Other duties may be assigned depending on seasonal need
• Bachelor’s degree (or in-progress) in Viticulture/Enology, or related field preferred
• Previous harvest experience is a plus
• A passion for all things wine, from vineyard to table
• Ability to lift 50 lbs.
• Ability to walk up and down stairs, walk in uneven terrain, occasionally climb ladders, catwalks
• Clean driving record
• Familiar with Microsoft Office and AgCode
• Strong organization and communication skills
• Available to work a regular, full time schedule that includes overtime, weekends, and holidays as needed during harvest season
• Spanish language skills a plus
This physical job can require extended hours in the vineyard or in the winery. In most cases, vineyard work will need to be performed in varying weather conditions, on uneven terrain, and at variable times during a 24-hour period. Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit a cover letter and resume.